Colonel Geoffrey F. “Skippy” Weiss is Commander of the 552nd Air Control Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma. As Commander, Colonel Weiss is responsible for Air Combat Command's fleet of E-3 Airborne Warning & Control System aircraft and ground-based Control & Reporting Centers supporting combatant commanders worldwide. He leads over 4,000 men and women at four Air Force bases and manages resources that include 27 E-3 AWACS aircraft and 2 CRCs valued at $15.6 billion.
Colonel Weiss was a Rodman Scholar and graduated with honors in aerospace engineering from the University of Virginia in 1991. He worked as a civilian engineer for nearly two years prior to earning his Air Force commission from Officer Training School in 1993, where he was the top graduate in class 94-03B. Prior to his current assignment, he served as Commander, 505th Test and Evaluation Group, where he conducted C2ISR test and pioneered live and synthetic capabilities to conduct advanced tactics training and development for multi-domain, integrated operations. Additionally, Colonel Weiss has served in various operational and staff assignments to include the Joint Staff as Deputy Director of the Joint Integrated Air and Missile Defense Organization, the Air Staff, and as an E-3 squadron commander.
Colonel Weiss is a senior air battle manager with operational experience on multiple weapons systems including over 2,400 hours in the E-3 A/B/C/G. He has flown 335 hours of combat and combat support.
1991 Bachelor of Science (w/ Distinction), Aerospace Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
1994 Outstanding Graduate, Officer Training School (94-03B), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Masters of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1998 Distinguished Graduate and Squadron Outstanding Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Distinguished Graduate, Masters of Military Studies, Marine Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
2008 Masters of Operational Studies, School of Advanced Warfighting (SAW), Quantico, Va.
2008 Air War College (Correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
2015 National Security Executive Leadership Seminar, Dept. of State Foreign Service Institute, Arlington, Va.
1. Mar 1994–Aug 1994; Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Controller Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2. Aug 1994–Dec 1996; Weapons/Senior Director, Southeast Air Defense Sector, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. Dec 1996–Aug 1998; Chief, Stan/Eval & Ops Training; weapons/senior director, mission crew commander; 932nd Air Control Squadron, Rockville/Keflavik Naval Air Station, Keflavik, Iceland
4. Aug 1998–Oct 1998; Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
5. Oct 1998–Aug 1999; Student, E-3 Air Surveillance Officer IQT/MQT, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6. Aug 1999–May 2000; Assistant Flight Commander, Air Surveillance Officer, 964th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. May 2000–Mar 2002; Chief, Mobility/Current Ops; Flight Commander, Stan/Eval Flight Examiner, 966th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. Mar 2002–Nov 2003; Chief, Ops Group Stan/Eval, Surveillance Branch, 552nd Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
9. Dec 2003–Aug 2005; Chief, C2 Branch, Influence Ops Division, DCS Air & Space Ops, HQ USAF, Pentagon
10. Sep 2005–Jul 2006; Executive Assistant, Office of the Assistant Vice Chief of Staff, HQ USAF, Pentagon
11. Aug 2006–Jun 2007; Student, Marine Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
12. Jul 2007–Jun 2008; Student, School of Advanced Warfighting, Quantico, Va.
13. Jul 2008–Jan 2009; Distinguished Graduate, Mission Crew Commander IQT/MQT, 552nd Training Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
14. Jan 2009–Mar 2009; Operations Supervisor, 965th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. Mar 2009–Jun 2010; Director of Operations, 552nd Operations Support Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
16. Jun 2010–Jun 2012; Commander, 964th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
17. Jul 2012–Jun 2013; Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
18. Jun 2013–Jun 2014; Chief, Warfighter Requirements Division, JIAMDO (Joint Staff/J-8), Pentagon, D.C.
19. Jun 2014–Jun 2015; Deputy Director, JIAMDO (Joint Staff/J-8), Pentagon, D.C.
20. Jun 2015–Jun 2017; Commander, 505th Test and Evaluation Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
21. Jun 2017–Present; Commander, 552nd Air Control Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT DUTY ASSIGNMENTS
1. Jun 2013–Jun 2014; Chief, Warfighter Requirements Division, JIAMDO (Joint Staff/J-8), Pentagon, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel
2. Jun 2014–Jun 2015; Deputy Director, JIAMDO (Joint Staff/J-8), Pentagon, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Senior Air Battle Manager
Flight Hours: More than 2400
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
AF Commendation Medal
AF Achievement Medal
Global War on Terror Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terror Service Medal
12TH AF Outstanding Performer of the Year
Chief of Staff Trophy (#1 Flight), Squadron Officer School
USAF Nominee for the AFA’s David C. Schilling Award
Publications – Joint Force Quarterly, 2x Air and Space Power Journal (Eaker Award)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 15, 1994
First Lieutenant March 15, 1996
Captain March 15, 1998
Major May 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel September 1, 2014
(Current of as July 2017)