|COLONEL JAY R. BICKLEY|
COLONEL JAY R. BICKLEY
Colonel Jay R. Bickley is the Commander of the 552d Air Control Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. He is responsible for Air Combat Command's fleet of E-3 Airborne Warning & Control System (AWACS) aircraft and ground-based Control and Reporting Centers (CRC) supporting combatant commanders worldwide. He leads nearly 5,000 men and women at 5 Air Force bases and manages resources that include 27 E-3 AWACS aircraft and 4 CRCs valued at $11.8 billion.
Colonel Bickley received his commission upon graduating as a Distinguished Graduate from the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at California State University Sacramento in 1989 and completed pilot training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas in December 1991. During his career, he has commanded a flying Squadron and Operations Group. Additionally, he has held a variety of positions, including Instructor and Evaluator E-3 Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief, Headquarters United States Air Force Chief of Staff Presentations Division, Assistant Director of Operations, and headed the Combat Air Branch in NATOs Joint Air Power Competence Center.
Colonel Bickley is a command pilot with more than 4,500 hours of flight time.
1989 Bachelor of Arts in Communications, California State University Sacramento, Calif.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Science in Aeronautical Science Technology, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Master in Military Operational Art and Science, Air University, Ala.
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2009 Master in National Security Studies, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1990 - December 1991, student, Euro NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. February 1992 - May 1995, E-3 Aircraft Commander, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
3. August 1995 - October 1998, T-37 instructor/evaluator pilot, and flight commander, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
4. January 1999 - May 2002, E-3 instructor/evaluator pilot, executive officer, 3rd Operations Group, and assistant operations officer, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
5. August 2002 - June 2003, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
6. June 2003 - April 2004, Deputy Chief, Current Operations Division, Air Force Operations Group, Directorate of Operations and Training, Deputy Chief of Staff, Air and Space Operations, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. April 2004 - April 2005, Chief, CSAF Presentations Division, Air Force Operations Group, Directorate of Operations and Training, Deputy Chief of Staff, Air and Space Operations, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2005 - June 2006, Director of Operations, 963rd Airborne Air Control Squadron, 552d Air Control Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
9. June 2006 - July 2008, Commander, 964th Airborne Air Control Squadron, 552d Air Control Wing, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
10. July 2008 - June 2009, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2009 - June 2011, Branch Head Combat Air, NATO Joint Air Power Competence Center, Kalkar, Germany
12. June 2011 - June 2012, Commander, 380th Expeditionary Operations Group, Southwest Asia
13. July 2012 - June 2013, Director, Air Force Office of Lessons Learned, Air Force Studies & Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon,
14. June 2013 - Present, Commander, 552d Air Control Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, TC-18, RQ/EQ-4, and E-3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 26, 1990
First Lieutenant May 26, 1992
Captain May 26, 1994
Major May 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 2006
Colonel October 1, 2009
(Current as of June 2013)